Saturday, November 10, 2012

On this Diwali, would you let me...




On this Diwali, I wish to look back at all the diwalis of my life, right since I was a child running and shouting with crackers in my hand and eating fisfulls of dry fruits … to a diwali when I was trying to calm down my little baby who was crying, frightened by all the scary sounds of bombs… to this Diwali when all I want to do is lie down on the grass wet with dew, and count the stars in the sky and maybe make a wish on a shooting star, and maybe catch it in my hand.

On this Diwali, could you just let me drive away, far away, into the darkness, on deserted roads, till I come across one small, forgotten hut in the dark, lighted by one single diya ? I promise I would only sit around that diya, and look deep into the quiet flame, till the whole world would seem to shrink inside that one flame and glow brilliantly around me ?


On this Diwali, would you just let me walk away, away from the crowds, the lights and the sound, tiil I find a dark terrace. I promise to sit there quietly, not make a sound, and look at the sky lighting up around me, bursting into a thousand lights and becoming dark again, to glow again. 

On this Diwali, you could just allow me to ask the world to be quiet, for some time. I wish to concentrate. I wish to listen to the sounds of silences that have disappeared in this cacophony.


On this Diwali, you could say 'yes' if I ask you to let me search for a lighthouse in dark, stormy, turbulent seas. I will just climb the stairs with a swinging lantern guiding my unsteady steps, reach the top, and watch the  angry sea lash around my steady refuge, and listen to the sounds of the waves. 

On this Diwali, would you mind if I do not respond to ‘Happy Diwali’, and just walk away ? 

I will just take a walk under the midnight blue sky, lit with a million stars, look up and touch the face of God with my fingertips and thank Him for all that He has given me.


No comments:

Post a Comment