Friday, April 8, 2011

Maybe this is me.


I have heard, felt, smelt,  absorbed, understood, loved, inculcated, consumed this exquisite ghazal by "Muzaffar Warsi" since I was fourteen years old.  Maybe this is the very essence of who I am. Maybe this is the core of what I wish to be. Maybe this is me.

I have translated it to the best of my ability. I hope the pride, the honour, the nobility  that shines through in these beautiful words does not get lost in the translation.

Shola hoon bhadakne ki guzaarish nahin karta
Sach munh se nikal jaataa hai koshish nahin karta
I am a flame and I do not need to take permission from anyone to burn brightly. The truth just slips out of me… I don’t even have to try.

Girtii hui deewaar ka hamdard hoon lekin
Chadhte huey sooraj ki parastish nahin kartaa
I have compassion for a wall that is deteriorating and falling to pieces. But I do not wish to worship the rising sun.

Maathe ke paseene ki mehak aaye na jis se
Wo khoon mere jism mein gardish nahin karta
The blood that is not fragrant with the perspiration of my forehead.... That blood does not dare to meander in my body.

Hamdardi-e-ehbaab se dartaa hoon 'muzaffar'
Main zakhm to rakhtaa hoon numaaish nahin karta

I am afraid of the sympathy of my loved ones… though I nurture my wounds and hurts, I do not like to put them on display.  

13 comments:

  1. Sujata, I saw this Gazal uploaded by Natasha(Mrs subhash) this morning but since I am not a fan of Jagjit Singh, I didn't hear it. Nevertheless it has got very beautiful lyrics and you have done full justice to the translation.

    Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tanna. I had to look up in many urdu-english online dictionaries to translate. I am glad you found it good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donno y i felt Amitabh Bachchan's voice as I read, as it would suit a voice full of conviction. Though its classified under 'very me' but i m borrowing this one 4 myself. Reading and following it feels heroic and fills up with a 'junoon'. Now let me recite this n impress my frens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirit,

    Did your friends get impressed ? I bet they did :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sujata - Thanks for the translation...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sujata for the Translation. Very Well Done..

    ReplyDelete
  9. your translation is as good as person you are

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are literal translations, there are didactic / philosophical translations, ... and then there is this translation which speaks directly by creating a channel to the resonant hearts where the 'echoes' continue to linger as the silent fragrance of flowers.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete