Wednesday, July 31, 2013

25 years of AIIMS... Million moments of happiness.

31st July 1988 was the day when life ended – or rather life as I knew it, ended. Life ended and flight began. Flying in the skies, over the clouds, being one among the stars. 

Because 31st July 1988 was the day when I stopped singing ‘Its an ordinary world’. After that I was singing ‘You’re my star’ (to myself) everyday. It was the last day of being ordinary.

Because I stepped into AIIMS on 1st August 1988 as a student. 

People say ‘they haven’t looked back since’. I wonder what there was to look back anyway. Everything began from that moment. I remember looking at the majestic building of AIIMS with awe in my eyes. No longer as an outsider. I remember thinking ‘This belongs to me, and I belong to this.’ I remember looking at the crowds of patients and attendants, the cars honking impatiently, the chaos. I remember walking through the research labs, knowing that I will carve my future here, brick by brick, stone by stone. 

Since that day, I have walked into AIIMS everyday of my life. Every morning I walk in here, and every morning I feel the same happiness, the same sense of belonging. I never tire of seeing the crowds, I am easy with my horn when I drive past the harried looking people, I don’t care if the campus is not beautiful. Because I know that extremely sick people come here to get treated, and everyone who is a part of AIIMS is overworked and is still working tirelessly. Research scientists at AIIMS have to continuously re-invent themselves, they can’t rest on past laurels. They have to keep pushing their limits, they have to keep proving themselves, constantly. Why ? Simply 'Because its AIIMS'.

I have laughed, cried, doubted, achieved, lived my entire life here, and not for one moment did I ever regret anything. Except one.   I remember once, when I decided to leave AIIMS and was driving to an unknown destination to give an interview for a job. It was early morning as I drove on the AIIMS flyover. Something made me look back, and I saw the majestic building look back at me. That was a timeless moment. A silent communication. At that moment, I knew I am not going anywhere. I got that job, but tore the appointment letter. I am meant to be here, I know it as certainly and unconsciously, as I know how to breathe.

Now after 25 years, I look back and get amazed at how much AIIMS has given me. Not just professionally, but also personally. I have made friends for a lifetime. I have found my mentor here. I found my life partner, and both my children took their first breath here. In my worst moments, I have walked in here, and forgotten all my pain, as I rolled up my sleeves and got down to work. 

Now here I am, every morning, I walk in here, with the same enthusiasm and energy as I did years ago when I first walked in here, and as I breathe in the air deeply.....I feel alive. 

14 comments:

  1. Sujata, I just love the way you express your relationships and thoughts. I have gone through some of your blogs and all of them left me with a smile....,after reading your 'chhota baingan' I cooked the same after a long time and remembered you and Sitab on my dining table.....
    Keep posting.
    Happiness Always.

    Mamta Chauhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mamta, so many, many thanks !! I am so happy to read your comments :) :) Now I am going to smile the whole day :) Glad to know that chhota baingan got its rightful place with pride on your dining table. Lots and lots of of love to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current problem is aiims.I was looking for someone to share my problems.I was always a topper.I stood first in every exams in all classes till Xth.My classmates used to envy me for that.I was one of school toppers in cbse 10 board.But life changed after that.As I entered class 11 ,I began to lag after 6 months.I don't know what happened.Months passed like that. AIIMS,Delhi was always my dream. Will I be able to crack in 1 month time? The reason I asked this is because all the aiims students are mostly state pmt or aipmt toppers.I can do it.But I just want to ask you since you were a student of aiims.I regret the time I wasted.Please reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, don't worry. I did very badly in Class XI too. Its natural to lag off once in a while. However you can always catch up later. Also, AIIMS may not happen - but so what ? I know so many people who did not study in AIIMS and yet are doing very well. Similarly, I know many people who studied in AIIMS but are not doing so well. So please dont worry about it. Just work hard and get into any decent college/institute. If you work really hard, you can shine, no matter which school/college you are. Its all about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You for ur kind advice.Any way I have decided to study hard and write the exam in june.The rest I am leaving to God to decide.I hope all ends well.
    I know I won't be able to clear pmts.But still I keep a hope for aiims,delhi.Everybody say its impossible.I will never lose my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, all the best ! I am sure you will do well. If things dont work out this year, try next year. I know lots of people who were able to crack PMT in the repeat year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, i do agree that this is not all. I did get into a decent medical college. But isn't AIIMS Delhi like THE place to be. Every moment of my own decent-college life, i miss not being there.
    I am of course anonymous2 dis tym.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Anonymous. All colleges have their + and - points. No place is heaven in itself. Things look very good from a distance. Trust your destiny, work hard and become a good doctor. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Dr.Sujata sharma,i am having a good aim in serving my nation.My ultimate aim is to make the nation DISEASE-FREE as far as possible.but my class 12 board exam marks are low.i too tried and attempted some medical entrance examination.but at present i am doing my 1st MBBS in VMU salem.but i am aiming PG courses to do in aiims.At present my ambiens where i am doing UG is not good.Am i having the possibility to get a PG seat in AIIMS.PLEASE GUIDE ME?
    -Sivakumar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mam i hats of you,not because your are faculty at aiims.As student and after became a faculty same institute you have done a great job. and one a great things is that after reading you blog. i feel you justified your dream and life

    ReplyDelete
  11. MAM i want to know how u studied to get into the best medical college in india... the AIIMS....pls help....

    ReplyDelete
  12. MAM i want to know how u studied to get into the best medical college in india... the AIIMS....pls help....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a child theme for Studiopress Genesis Framework. In order to use it, you have to install the framework first. You can Download the Genesis Framework here.

    ReplyDelete