Thursday, March 31, 2011

The birthday of my life Is come


I had been waiting awhile to write this post. A lot of events had happened but I was still waiting for that one event to happen, before I pen this down. And as surely as a rain drop that falls on the parched earth, it did happen, because nothing can stop an idea whose time had come.

It has been a hard struggle since the past five years, which finally culminated into one beautiful moment of victory.

I remember the day when pain knocked on my door. I opened the door, stared at it with unbelieving eyes but had no choice but to let it in. It unfolded slowly at first, swirled around me and engulfed my being and I was foolish enough to think that it will pass soon. It did not pass. Then as time passed by, I realized that pain had come to stay.

I remember looking for books, for quotes, for movies for inspiration and relief. I remember letting go of many old friends who were good enough for only the good times. I remember declining several invitations where I would find myself at a loss for words. I remember searching, in vain, for happiness in other unfamiliar territories.

I remember standing outside watching sunsets, every evening, alone, with the sounds of silence around me.

‘’You keep standing there, all the time.” Someone said.

 “Yes, I have been standing there since some five years now. I can’t seem to move from that point. I keep waiting, for something to come and release me from this pain. I know it will come, one day, I am sure. Till then I will stand here, at this place. Let the rest of the world move on. ”

I often wondered if my waiting was in vain. Will I stand here all my life ?

But then, everything happens at exactly the right place and the right time. And it happened.

When it did, I was still standing here.

Maybe tomorrow, when the sun rises, it will rub its eyes and stare at this place and find me gone. Maybe it will miss its old companion, as steadfast and resolute as it is.

But it will not despair….

Because now I am smiling. Yes. Now I am smiling.

My heart is like a singing bird
Whose heart is in a watered shoot:
My heart is like an apple-tree
Whose boughs are bent with thickset fruit;
My heart is like a rainbow shell
That Paddles in a halcyon sea;
My heart is gladder than all these
Because my love is come to me.
Raise me dais of silk and down;
Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
Work it in gold and silver grapes,
In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
Because the birthday of my life
Is come, my love is come to me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful - I couldn't help but smile.
    BTW, the pic matches the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you do remember the history of pic, dont u ? I got the idea of writing this the moment this pic was taken on 30th March ! :)

    ReplyDelete