Monday, December 28, 2009

Come September


Right from my childhood days, there is one phenomenon every year that I wait for. No – it is not my birthday. That day which I wait for is first of September.

For me, September is to the year what is evening is to a day. It is the time when the hot summer starts melting away. The transition phase – the twilight of the year before merging into the glamorous, cold nights of November and December. Is it any wonder that there is a movie AND a song called 'Come September' ?

Almost ever year, I have seen a pattern – Trials and tribulations, anxieties and worries taken upon me in the summer months, almost matching with the relentless heat and dust outside. One miserable day follows the other, the passing of the days almost rhythmic. The rhythm becomes so predictable that there comes a time when I stop searching for relief, when I no longer care if reprieve from these trials would be forthcoming anymore. I keep doing what needs to be done, without caring for the result, day after day, month after month ; squinting against the merciless sun, , blinking away tears which I no longer care about.

And then one day while walking down walking on the same beaten, broken, dusty path, I notice that the sun does not seem to shine that harshly any more. I look up and the sky seems to be a vibrant blue with merry, white clouds that are hurrying away to nowhere. The leaves seem to be greener, the dust seems to have settled down. I stand alone and close my eyes and breathe deeply…. September is coming.

September… Summer’s end.

September… A moment when leaves will turn a brilliant green before they take upon a golden hue.

September… A moment when mild sunshine dances upon my shoulder.

September… when my hot tears melt away into a shy smile.

September…. A moment when the Universe hesitates and wonders…

September…. when time stops running on its determined, aggressive path and sleeps a peaceful, dreamless slumber.

September…. A moment when my past, present and future get merged into an brilliant, indistinct aura.

This September… Maybe I will find the courage to let go of everything that is mine and everything that hurts me. Maybe I will search for a shady tree with golden leaves, lie down on the green grass, sigh and close my eyes, listening to a half-forgotten melody of hope which dances on the autumn breeze.

1 comment:

  1. Simply superb !! It's always a pleasure to read your blogs!

    ReplyDelete